Monday, February 05, 2007

Free Satalite Radio...kinda?

This may be a sign that I am getting old, but I have a hard time convincing myself that it is OK to pay for radio. As it stands now, I am not a subscriber, but learned to appreciate the service while Gerry and I drove to Brent last year. Gerry has subscribed to Sirius Satellite Radio for a couple of years, but this was the first time I had been exposed to it for any meaningful amount of time. Besides a very funny guy named "Bubba the Love Sponge", there is also station I really liked called "Alt Nation". It is a great mix of old and new alternative music, but it was something else that was the home run for me....if I liked a song, I could look at the screen and see the name of the band/title. At my age, this is necessary 'cause I can't recognize bands anymore, but I still know what I like.

But still, I can't come to grips with the monthly fee...so I came up with an Alternative, Jim Satellite Radio...OK, not really but this is a free "alternative" to Sirius (pardon the pun).

I go to Sirius Satellites countdown chart for Alt Nation and copy and past the song titles into Microsoft Word so I can....ahhh.... go buy them...yeah that's it....buy them!(insert grin here) Then before you can say piracy, I have them on my mp3 and I am off and running. This way I can check out a song and find out if I like it. If I do I keep it, if not nothing lost. This is a perfect solution for those days that I want to hear something different, but don't know where to look. They have lots of channels, so if Alt Nation isn't your thing, find a channel that is.


Another great option is Pandora "the musical genome project". (...Gerry introduced this to me). This allows you to put in the name of a song or artist and it play music that are similar in tempo, music etc. I have found some great music using this...give it a try.

No comments: