I consider myself a real "Guys guy", so believe me when I say, what I am about to admit flies in the face of many of my beliefs about what a man is all about. For the past 3 weeks I have been doing YOGA and worse yet, I like it! But before you revoke my Guys club Membership let me explain...
For the past couple of months I have been getting "runners stitch" when doing my 20 km+ runs. While at the gym lifting big heavy weights (...very manly) I ran into a fellow runner who suggested the problem was most likely due to my breathing and suggested that yoga would benefit all aspects of my running. I have always said I would do anything if it helped, so I started researching.
I stumbled across a great yoga website where you can download an hour long instructional video. It is an easy to follow, high quality production and best of all it's free!
I have been doing the program for a few weeks and have noted the following improvements:
- Smoother breathing while running
- Increased flexibility
- Improved stress control
- Absence of the dreaded "runners stitch"
- Increased felling of well being
In the spirit of admitting the embarrassing/Non-guy things, here are a few more:
- I sometimes I intentionally watch movies that will make me cry
- I sing in the car and imagine myself performing the song on stage
- I have had a facial...it was only once, but I did like it
- I have waxed body parts
- I watch and enjoy, "Dancing with the Stars" and "So you think you can Dance"..ouch!
- I have no less then 4 books from Oprah's book club
.....and I don't care who knows it!