Monday, January 29, 2007

A new member of our family

After considering it for the last few years, last fall we decided to get a dog. Tanyia and I have always liked yellow labs and after meeting with several weird breeders decided on one from Peterborough. We want a male and have decided on the name "Jack", after Jack Bauer from 24 and yes, I know I am a geek. The next liter will be ready to be brought home in March and with we are all very excited. I have attached a picture of Jack that the breeder was kind enough to send us.

Meeting breeders was an eye opener and I learned something about "dog people". For the most part, dog breeders don't have kids, but love to compare having a dog as being the same as having children. Yeah, you heard me correctly. These folks need a reality check. I found it a bit offensive that someone would compare having a dog to raising children and no matter how many times I heard it, it still ate at me. My solution was to just nod and smile, then change the subject ASAP! I think these people should have a child, that way their dogs can become pets again and restore the natural order of things. I love dogs, but in our house pets (although deeply loved) are still pets!

In the years to come I hope to bring Jack on our Canoe Trips, but for now we will be happy just to have him come home.


5 comments:

twugster said...

Ooooooooooooooh So cute. It is funny that you are doing this,.. I have been doing the research on labs & retreivers since november. Mostly I've been watching here for new litters of goldens: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-W0QQCatIdZ126
You're right abour breeders - though I haven't visited one yet, I know what you mean!

I'm pining for a puppy, gotta get some support on that one yet though :p Uhg! ahahahhaha

Congratulations I'm sure the kids (and you of course) will love to have Jack around. Camping is going to be a whole other ball game now - so FUN!

Jim said...

I have spent lots of time teaching the kids about puppy stuff, but I am sure it will all be forgotten the moment he wiggles in our front door.

Suds said...

"...and yes, I know I am a geek..."

The first step is admitting that it... ;)

Jim said...

Ignore him, he's just pissy 'cause people would never know I am a geek unless I told them, but everyone just assumes Suds is...sad but true...

LOL

twugster said...

You two have got such a Love-Hate thing going on AHAHAHHAHAAH

True Soul mates! Tee heeee