Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Spring is here folks!

The sun is out in full force and although my back yard is a mucky mess, I am so glad to see some great weather, even if only temporary.

Tuesday I took full advantage of the weather and took my new bike for its inaugural run. The bike was very responsive and crazy fast! I went for a 20 minute ride around Newcastle and that was all I needed to fall in love with this bike. The clipless pedals on the other hand, will take some getting use to. This was my first time I have ever had my shoe clipped to the pedal while cycling. It made the cycling feel very fluid and semi-effortless, but a bit scary at times. When I approached my house I made sure to un-clip my shoes in advance, but once I hit my driveway, I needed one more push to get over the hump. Without knowing it, this last push clipped my shoe to the pedal again and as I came to a stop I was shocked to be unable to put my foot down! So picture this...my neighbors are outside to witness me rolling to a stop and then just flopping sideways, bike and all! One of my neighbors yelled "are you OK buddy?". I was to embarrassed to be hurt. I felt like such a schmuck and waived back yelling " I am OK" as I layed there quietly dieing inside. I am still a rookie when it comes to cycling and I hope that my "clip comfort level" will increase with experience or this could get expensive. The bike was fine, as my soggy lawn had cushioned much of the blow.

I dropped it off at Impala Bikes to be serviced, as I start my Tri training on Monday and want to have it in tip top shape for the next time a drop it...I man ride it.

On a different note, if you are looking for a good motivational song to add to your mp3, look no further then "The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance. I must have played it 10 times during my cardio session the other day and it had my pumped! Give it a listen...


2 comments:

gewilli said...

I did it on one of my first rides with clipless pedals...

Seems that it has to happen with spectators...

Me at a 4 way stop. I roll up as another car is pulling into the intersection... i stop...

oh i'm not unclipped...

and roll turtle like onto my back...

both feet clipped in and bike above me...

the three cars (or should i say the people in the cars) didn't say anything...

at least ya got an "R ya OK?"

Jim said...

I am glad you told me that, I was starting to think I was the only one this happens to.

Didn't it hurt to role backwards like that? Did you do that intentionally?

Although I have a monster bruise on my knee now, at the time I didn't feel a thing...except embarrassed!