Wednesday, April 09, 2008

This and That...

This post will just be a bunch of random stuff that has touched my life in some way.

  • New Business- I'm nearing the end of the process of starting a new business. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet, but it will be directly related to canoeing and I'm very excited to get it off the ground. More on that in the weeks to come.
  • Toronto's Anti-Handgun Campaign- Mayor David Miller has been on Youtube, Facebook and the city's convincing people to support a federal handgun ban. For the record, I don't own or do I ever plan to own a gun and although I agree that something has to be done, this isn't the answer. I would be in favor of increasing minimum jail sentences for those caught carrying a handgun (10 years sounds about right), but a total ban will only punish those who are willing to own up to having a handgun, while the illegal ones that are the real problem will continue to land in the wrong hands. If this argument sounds familiar see "Federal Firearm Registry". All of this reminds me of one of my favorite Archie Bunker quotes.
Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

  • I'm loving Spring - No snow to shovel, fresh air, wet yard, muddy dog feet, dog poop to clean up....? .....I'm hating spring! :)
  • Back Pain- Well it's gone for good! I have been relatively pain free for weeks and loving it. My training is so much easier and I feel like my body and mind are running much "cleaner" without all the medication. I can't wait to see what it's like to go to Algonquin without pain!
  • Something that REALLY Bugs Me- I hate when morbidly obese people say "I'm a picky eater". What??? Maybe if you were a little more "picky" you wouldn't have a weight problem. I don't usually judge people , but come on "picky eater"? Please!
  • Algonquin Trips Blog In the National Post- I was contacted by Melissa Leong, a news reporter from the National post. She wants to interview me for an upcoming article on the UFC. I have agreed and will update you when the it's published.
  • New Gear- I LOVE new gear and with my birthday just around the corner and I have bought myself a few canoe related gifts. A SPOT personal locator, a 60 Liter barrel and harness from Headstrong and a bunch of stuff from MEC including the GSI Dualist Cookset and MEC Guide Tarp.
  • Training Update- Being pain free has made my workout so much more enjoyable. I'm back to loving my 2 a day workouts and making some great progress. The tri software eRacePlanner has turned out to be an excellent tool and has made my training more challenging, but with less hours. I just feel so good going into the tri season and can't wait to compete in Guelph in June.
  • Brain Age- I'm so addicted to this game. We bought Lauren a Nintendo DS for her birthday but since it's in May Tanyia and I have been using it. Well this game is so addictive and unlike most of the games out there it can increase your brain power. From the official Brain Age site...
"Exercise is the key to good health, both for body and mind - and now there's finally a way to make mental exercise simple, fun, even competitive. Inspired by the work of prominent Japanese neuroscientist Dr. Ryuta Kawashima, the Brain Age games feature activities designed to help stimulate your brain and give it the workout it needs like solving simple math problems, counting currency, drawing pictures on the Nintendo DS touch screen, and unscrambling letters."

No comments: