Friday, February 22, 2008

Algonquin Trip Booked!

Today I formally booked the canoe trip I will take with my daughter this summer with Parks Ontario. I outlined the trip in detail HERE, but for some reason never got around to making the reservations. Kind of silly actually, but now that it's all booked, let the planning begin!

Things to do:

  • Sleeping Pad- Find an air mattress that is light enough not to be a burden, but thick enough to provide her some comfort. Maybe I'll can ask a good buddy of mine if we could borrow his Thermarest.
  • Clothes for Lauren to Bring- I need to put together a list of "must have" clothes for her to bring and I will need some help. I tend to ONLY bring the clothes I need, knowing full well that I may have to wear wet clothing as a result. I can't expect her to feel the same way, so the clothing list will have to be more liberal.
  • Meal Plan- Since food is a BIG part of any canoe trip I want the meals for her first Algonquin trip to be out of this world. I will be putting a lot of thought into what meals and snacks we will enjoy. With that in mind, I plan on bringing the outback oven so we can share a pizza or two and maybe even some fresh backed brownies. I will have to consult my trip partner on all choices, after all she is the boss!
  • Tarp- Given my experience on the tornado filled solo trip last July, I won't be taking any chances on being exposed to the elements. If it rains, I want a decent sized place to wait it out. I want to find a light weight, but fairly large ( 15 X 20 ft) tarp. I haven't done a search yet, but I figure such a thing MUST exist....right?
  • Food Barrel- I had to return the barrel and harness I got for Christmas, as it was not very good quality. I will be purchasing the Headstrong harness, but I am still not sure if I should get the 30 or 60 liter barrel. I asked posted the "what should I buy" question over a the Algonquin Adventures forum and you can read the responses by clicking HERE.

No comments: