Friday, June 29, 2007

Going Solo in Just 10 days!

In just 10 short days I will be leaving on my first solo trip and I am feeling an odd mix of nervous and excited. This will be the first time I have ever gone on "vacation" by myself and it will be interesting to see how I react to that kind of solitude. I have always been a fairly insecure guy and throughout my life I have surround myself with people with strong personalities to help me make the best choices. It's not that I can't make up my own mind, I just prefer to have someone give a second opinion and more often then not, this gives me a little extra confidence that I am making the best decision. Needless to say, second opinions will be in short supply on my solo trip, so my ability to make decisions without any back-up will be put to the test and it has me feeling kind of scared. I just hope that these feelings are all part of a process that will have me return a more well rounded tripper and person. Hmmm....still not 100% convinced I can handle being alone for that long, but I am eager to find out either way. 10 days and counting!

I plan to do the few things I have on my "to do" list this weekend. Nothing to crazy, but it all takes time and since I have a 4 day weekend I figured it would be better to get it out of the way now.

Solo Trip To Do List:

  1. Clean camera memory
  2. Charge camera batteries
  3. Make beef jerky
  4. Do final gear assembly
  5. Weigh pack
  6. Food pack up (minus freezer stuff)
  7. I am sure there are a few other things as well.... :)
While I was checking out my gear the other day I discovered that I have lost both of the carbon fiber stays to convert my thermarest pad into a chair. I called the company, but they were no help, so I will have to buy a new one before CC2007. Gerry is going to lend me his for my solo trip so I won't have to sit on the ground. Thanks dude!

I had ordered a pair of amphibious sandals from MEC and they arrived yesterday. They are just awesome, but they have given me blisters on one foot. I called the company and since they don't make half sizes there was not much they could do. I love the sandals, but can't deal with blisters, so back to MEC they go.

This weekend it my second favorite day of the year! Yes, Sunday is the first day for NHL's Unrestricted Free Agents and it is always an exciting day. I am not sure what the Leafs will be doing, but I have heard that they are very interested in signing Ryan Smith. Coverage begins on TSN at 10 or 11 am and I will be watching and praying that the leafs can sign some big names and unload some of there garbage IE Pavel Kubina.

My tri training continues to go well, but I have been getting a little bored with biking, so I decided to mix it up a bit. On Tuesday I went for an 80 km ride to my parents place in Uxbridge and it was just what I needed to add some excitement back into my workouts. On all my rides I attach my Garmin Forerunner to the handlebars and it tracks my heart-rate, speed and all the usual GPS stuff. In all I burnt 2800 calories and It took me 2 hours and 30 minutes. On one hill I reached a top speed of 56 km/hr...on a bicycle! It was so awesome! Tanyia and my boys drove up to have a swim before we loaded up the bike and made our way home. What a great day!

No comments: