Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Going Back In Time

While searching through some old pictures to post on Facebook I stumbled across this photo taken in Algonquin in the summer of 1992. I am the guy on the left wearing the hairspray helmet and feathered hair. Other then my questionable taste in hair styles, I love this picture. It was the first time I had ever been to Algonquin and it was that experience that never really left me. Even years later when Gerry and I would start tripping together, it was that thought of that initial experience that rekindled my love of the park.

But for the life of me, I couldn't remember where the picture was taken? All I knew was that it was on a hiking trail along the highway 60 corridor. Not a lot of information to go on. So with just these few clues went to the Algonquin Adventures Message Board and asked for help. Within minutes the experts there agree that is was taken on Booth's Rock Trail. This trail is located next to Rock Lake! Yes, the same Rock Lake that I will be doing my solo trip this July. Amazing eh?

So I have decided that it high time I revisit that spot! Once I have completed my solo trip I will hike the 5.1 km Both's Lake Trail . My life has changed so much since I stood on that rock for the first time 15 years ago. Since then I am married, have children and a career. but despite all that, that place will most likely look exactly the same, even if my picture does not.

No comments: