Friday, May 29, 2009

Knu pack looks to change the way you look at portaging

Imagine if portaging didn't have to hurt your shoulders or be uncomfortable at all?

Well for a few years now I have heard the name Knu Pack bantered about, but never paid much attention. How good could it really be I thought? It's called "The Knu Pack" and after watching the video below my mouthed dropped! At first glance this looks to be the device I have been searching and praying for. Seriously....this looks like the one and only device to take all the pain out of portaging!

Watch this video and let me know what you think.

From their site:

"The words "comfort" and "portage" are rarely ever used in the same sentence... until now. The patented Knu-Pac system integrates the carrying ability and comfort of an external backpack frame with a 100% waterproof bag to allow you to carry both your canoe or kayak and/or your gear with more comfort than you can imagine.

Knu-Pac gives you full visibility, improved body posture, increased maneuverability and, best of all, the weight is carried by the larger, stronger muscles of your legs and not your aching shoulders. The unique cradles support virtually any size canoe or kayak at the balance point and allow for easy loading and unloading. Our universal thwart allows any solo canoe or kayak to be carried with the Knu-Pac with a simple clamping system.

Now you can carry your kayak anywhere!"

* UPDATE: After doing a bit more reading I found out that ownership of the company has recently changed hands, so I have contacted the new owner to find out when he plans to update his products page. As of this writing it says " New products will arrive for 2009 season, updates to follow". You can click HERE to go directly to the products page.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey jim I like that thing now where do you buy them..... thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim...I agree with you on the Knu-Pac. It seems like a no-brainer for portaging. I decided to make one myself by simply cutting off the top rail of an external frame backpack then fitting 3/4" copper tube over the remaining upright section of the external frame, with the top shaped like a goalpost on either side to accept the yoke. Taking it on my first trip to Algonquin in August.

Paul

Jim said...

Paul,

As I have been unable to contact the Knu Pack guy, I would be very interested in talking with you about your design...and even seeing some pictures if possible.

Please contact me at the email below (but remove the spaces)

jtcavers @ gmail.com

Thanks for reading and I look forward to speaking with you.

Unknown said...

Hi Jim
Its been a few months since you posted an update for the Knu pac internet site. Unforunately, the company isn't showing any possibility of purchasing a Knu Pac system. Can you re-update this information ?
Brian

les lunettes de soleil lady said...

Enjoy the good picture together, thanks. 2012elitenfljerseys.