Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Things that are new for The Wendigoes Lake trip!

I'm really excited. This will be my first trip of the year and of course that is reason enough to be enthusiastic, but this trip will be a first for me on many fronts. This will be the first time I have taken my new canoe on a trip (..."she" still needs a name and Lauren assures me she's working on it) and because I now own by beautiful (..but nameless) canoe, I don't need to rent a canoe....EVER AGAIN! Man that's so freakin awesome!!! Don't get me wrong, the good folks at Algonquin Outfitters have been great over the years, but that rental fee really starts to add up.

Lot's of other firsts on this trip. Here are the ones I can remember.

This is my first....

  1. Trip with my new canoe.
  2. Not having to rent a canoe
  3. Meeting up with people in the park that I only know through the Internet. Kids: I know I tell you never to this, but trust me...this is not the same thing :)
  4. Wearing aqua shoes instead of hiking boots.
  5. First time I will care if my canoe gets scratched.
  6. I'm going to be drinking beer in the park. I bought two 2 Liter bottles of Wells for night one.
  7. I'm going with some accomplished fishermen and will be going lake trout fishing. I hope to learn a lot while there, but that's not a first! :)
  8. I will be bringing two bags. A 60 liter barrel and my half filled backpack.
  9. I will be double tripping each portage, because of the amount of stuff . I'm bringing some real luxury items with me like a chair, 4 liters of beer, steak/ dinner for 5 and lots of other stuff I wouldn't bring on trips with more travel.
  10. This will be the first time I have been to Cedar lake where I didn't launch from the Algonquin Outfitters dock behind the Brent store.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Greetings Jim, Congrats on your new canoe purchase, it's about time you got your own. You'll be amazed at how many more reasons you find to get out on the water now that you just have to open your garage door to put a canoe on top of your vehicle.
I tell people all the time, if your renting for more than 10-14 days a year you should purchase your own canoe. Many choose the used route, there's many options in used boats, including even retired AO rentals.

Jim said...

I shopped around a lot over the last year or so and was all set to buy a decommissioned rental, but found a great deal on a private sale canoe.

Thanks for your comments and the many years Algonquin Outfitters has been there for me. You guys are the best!